Is your vehicle on its last leg? You’re ready to purchase something but you don’t know where to start? Car buying is a major life event. After a home, it’s generally the second biggest purchase you’ll make. We understand that this process can be intimidating, so here are a few basic things to do before you buy:
- Budget–Start by determining what you can afford. Your perspective vehicle should be worked into your monthly budget so you have an idea of what’s realistic. Remember the costs associated with purchasing a vehicle include but are not limited to: a down payment, a monthly loan or lease payment, fees for registration & title, cost for vehicle inspections and emissions testing, dealer fees, taxes, insurance, etc.
- New, Certified Pre-Owned or Used–We know our choice, but you’ll have to decide for yourself if you want a New, Used or Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle. Research the risks and benefits associated with each type. The benefits of buying a New car are obvious. But it is your most expensive option. Buying Brand New may also not be the best investment, as new cars depreciate in value very quickly. Many people look to used cars as a much less expensive option. But the risks here are obvious too. And, to avoid buying a lemon, choosing Certified Pre-Owned over other used vehicles can offer many protections. At Krietz for example, our Certified Pre-Owned Vehicles are sold with a better warranty and have undergone a rigorous 125-point inspection.
- Financing–Spend a little bit of time researching your financing options. Dealers will often coordinate financing for you. But you can also look into the bank or credit union you’d like to finance through and dealers like Krietz, for example, will work with your choice. One of the biggest things to mindful of here is finding the lowest interest rates and setting up a financing schedule that will get your vehicle paid off quickly.
- Narrow Down Your Choices to a few Cars–Before you head out the door to the dealer, narrow down your choices to just a handful of make/models you’re most interested in. When making this list, consider what vehicle functions matter most to you. Are you a commuter looking for the lowest gas mileage? Are you a parent who needs plenty of seating for kids? Do you need to haul your bike or sporting equipment in the back of your vehicle? Figure out what matters most for you and your lifestyle. And keep in mind again, your budget.
- Test Drive–A good dealer will recommend this, but always test drive your vehicle before you purchase. When you do go on a test drive, take your time and get the full driving experience. Play with the car’s controls, adjust the seats and make sure it’s a great fit!
Ready to shop? Check out what’s in our current inventory of vehicles! With our friendly, no-pressure approach, Krietz Auto is the perfect place to find your next vehicle. Contact us to get started!